Saturday 17 January 2015

Night Owl


I am such a night time person. Through and through, without a doubt.

It is when I get my inspiration, my motivation and my best ideas.

It is not conducive to a 9 - 5 world. Every morning is a struggle. Every morning is a battle with my alarm clock ('can I get away with one more snooze?'). I literally minute swap. If I wear my glasses instead of my contacts today that's two more minutes in bed. My hair doesn't really need a wash today, it can last until tomorrow. An extra twenty minutes, yay!

My walk to work does go a fair way to wake me up. I can at least face talking to another human being by the time I get to the office! I grab a coffee and scan the morning news. I catch up with my co-workers. I check emails, I make my to-do list, I check the morning news again, I catch up with different co-workers. I grab another coffee. It is safe to say that I am not at my most productive for those first few hours of the day.


Then, typically, around 10pm I get a boost of energy and an urgency to get things done that has so far alluded me all day. When I should be winding down to get a good nights sleep, I become a flurry of activity. Cleaning, tidying, drafting blog posts, working on my project of the moment, exersicing, planning. All of which leaves me too wired to get a good nights sleep when I finally head to bed. Which does not help with my hating mornings!

Oh how I would love if work started just a couple of hours later. But then, it would end later. So I would go to sleep later. So I would get up later. So my 8am would be 11am, but wouldn't it feel like 8am still? But 11am is just so much more of a civilized time to get out of bed!

It's not all bad. According to this article, it means that I am 'more intelligent' (also, I love some of the imagery used in that article). Here is a less biased view as to what characterizes night owls vs. early risers, and also gives some reasons as to why I hate my alarm so much.


14 comments:

  1. The struggle of waking up early in the morning.... Story of my life. Oh I showered last night, 15 mins more in bed! Haha

    Vivi Lien

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yup. I have to wash my hair at night time. No matter how good my intentions, if I leave it till the morning it just 'aint gonna happen!

      Delete
  2. Great blog post.. had a good read :)

    love your blog <3

    new post just gone up would love your thoughts http://myroutinesjade.blogspot.co.uk/

    have a nice day
    Jade
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jade - glad you like it! I will definately check out your post.

      Delete
  3. I liked this post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post, I like it. :)
    What if we follow each other? Let me know, sweetie!

    SIMONA | LIVEINFOXWORLD.BLOGSPOT.COM

    ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simona! I will check out your blog :)

      Delete
  5. Holla. I'm with you on this one. Being a night owl is often very troublesome & doesn't help for the 9 to 5 workforce.
    :] // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm definitely a night owl as well :)

    xx danielle // shades of danielle // bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know I'm not the only one with these struggles!

      Petite Pomme

      Delete
  7. haha! love this post :)

    http://allornothing-blog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?